Since the Limnoria episode I have been blocking PMs from everyone, because multiple people thought that as I am not part of any those communities anymore, the best way to get support is PMing me which is wrong.
I get tired with telling people to go to proper channels, so I told my ZNC to set umode +g automatically at freenode which accidentally went to all networks (as I didn’t have network level *perform loaded), but I am happy this way.
- I don’t receive any unwanted PMs, so PM harassment has dropped.
- People learn basic politeness by having to ask before PMing.
So what if someone wants to PM me and does that without asking?
The sender sees the following:
Mikaela :is in +g mode (server-side ignore.) Mikaela :has been informed that you messaged them.
And I see the following:
Michaela ~Mikaela@PirateParty/FI/Member :is messaging you, and you have umode +g.
All messages appear in server buffer and then I have some options:
- If I know Michaela and I trust that she has some good reason to PM me,
/accept Michaelaand ask her to send the message again.
- If I have no idea who is Michaela, I can whois her to see if we share
any common channels and ask on those what she wanted to talk in PM
and if I see reason for it, I
- If I know that Michaela is some horrible person on channel, I can ignore the notification on PM attempt as she is not going to say anything nice or that is worth hearing, very likely harassment…
If I had done
/accept Michaela, she would be able to PM me until
- I removed the authorization using
- I or Michaela disconnected
- Michaela changed her nick
I can also check which people are allowed to PM me using
/accept *. PMing
someone automatically adds them to
modern some IRCds if
you are on umode +g.